Fish curry is very popular in eastern India, along the costal belts and in Bangladesh. Rice being the staple diet here, the meal is incomplete without fish curry. However, this recipe is popular in eastern, parts of northeast India and Bangladesh. The common fish used for this recipe is Rahu, Katla, Mrigel, pomfret, Talapia and a few other fish like tuna chunks or even trout. Many add potato or cauliflower or both. This dish is generally enjoyed with rice.
- Fish pieces – 1 1/2 lbs
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon (for marination) + 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds (jeera sabut) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – For marination + to be added to gravy as per taste
- Oil – preferably raw mustard oil (kacchi ghani) – to fry fish – 3 tablespoon
- Oil – preferably raw mustard oil (kacchi ghani) – for gravy – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- Bay leaves (tez patta) – 2 leaves
- Water – 1 cup
- Chopped cilantro leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Clean fish and remove scale. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and some salt on the fish pieces and rub lightly.
- Heat a non stick frying pan (preferably) or any other frying pan and pour 3 tablespoon oil and heat oil adequately. Oil must be hot. Carefully introduce the fish pieces in the oil. When one side is golden brown, turn over and let it fry till golden brown. Remove fish from frying pan.
- You can use the same pan and the oil (Add oil if the oil is less than 1 1/2 tablespoon). Turn on to medium flame
- Add bay leaves and let it change color, add jeera and let it change color.
- Add KwikMeal Bhuna Masala , add red chili powder and stir for 2-3 minutes on medium flame. Add water. Bring it to boil. reduce flame to medium low and let it cook till fish pieces are tender and desired gravy.
- Add cilantro and turn flame off. Cover for a couple of minutes before serving.
Enjoy with rice.
Chicken Cury or chicken in sauce or chicken in gravy perhaps the most popular chicken dish cooked at home in the indian sub
Dahi chicken is pieces of chicken cooked in low flame to tender. The dish is very flavorful and easy to cook. The dish can be enjoyed with
Dum Aloo or Aloo Dum is a potato based dish. The dish originally was a traditional Kashmiri cuisine. In the original dish, the potat
Egg Curry or Hard Boiled eggs in Indian Flavored Sauce. The dish is popular all across the Indian sub continent. It is a quick dish and can be enjo
Fish curry is very popular in eastern India, along the costal belts and in Bangladesh. Rice being the staple diet here, the
Matar Paneer Masala is a popular dish among vegetarians in India. The d
When it comes to red meat, lamb dominates the Indian sub continent. It is believed that mutton curry originated in Bengal, India during the
Prawn/Shrimp – Medium Size – 1 lb. Marinade prawn/shrimp